I have lots of fun stuff going on today!
#1. It is my hubby’s 34th Birthday!!! And like a fine wine, he just gets better with age 🙂
#2. My mom volunteered to drive two hours to babysit my kids so that Lance and I could go out on the town for his birthday. My sweet little niece is coming with her so it is going to be a big ol’ slumber party!!
#3. I have an A-Mazing recipe to share with you today!!
It looks something like this:
It was late afternoon yesterday when I realized that I had completely forgotten to take some chicken out to thaw the night before. Oops! It was time to get my creative kitchen juices flowing. I wanted something fairly quick, easy and light on the tummy! I just wasn’t in the mood for a heavy meal.
That is when I remembered my basic quiche recipe that I have been making for years. The original recipe has a few different ingredients but I didn’t have those on hand so it was time to improvise! The great thing about having a basic go-to recipe is that it is easy to change up when needed. Find what you have and USE it!!!
I am thrilled to say that this combination is just as good if not better than the original!!
Let’s get started!!! While I was waiting for the oven to heat up, I quickly cooked up a few pieces of lower sodium bacon and nuked a head of fresh broccoli in the microwave. I only cooked it for a couple minutes because I didn’t want it to get too done. Once cooked, it was time to do some chopping.
Bacon is one of my greatest food loves. I don’t often rave about meat but bacon is JUST.SO.GOOD!!
My sous-chef. I just love his work attire, lol!!
I just adore my little $10 chopper. It makes my life in the kitchen so much easier!!
Now that I got all the chopping out of the way, it was time to mix and combine ingredients.
Into the pie plate it goes!
The finished product
Bacon Broccoli Crustless Quiche
- 4 slices lower sodium bacon or turkey bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 head fresh broccoli or 1/2 bag frozen, cooked
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups skim milk, or milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour(you may be able to use other flours but I have never subbed so cannot guarantee results)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper(can be omitted if you prefer non-spicy)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese(or cheese of choice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 10 inch pie plate with oil or cooking spray.
- While oven is preheating, cook and chop bacon and broccoli.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, flour, baking powder and salt and cayenne pepper. Once combined, add milk and continue whisking.
- Once the bacon and broccoli have cooled slightly, stir into the egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into a greased 10 inch pie plate and top with cheese.
- Place in a 400 degree oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until set.
- Allow cooked quiche to sit for 5-10 minutes, then slice and serve.
Quiche is such a wonderfully versatile food. It can be served for breakfast, brunch or dinner. There are so many ways it can be altered according to your tastes or what you in the kitchen. Need a cute presentation for a wedding or baby shower? Just make them into mini’s. I always feel so sophisticated and fancy when I am eating quiche. The word itself will make you feel that way. Go on…..say it!!!
Okay, fancy pants. Time to go make it and eat it!!! 😉
Is Quiche a food you enjoy? What ingredients do you prefer in yours?
If you have kids, do you let them help you in the kitchen?