Hi y’all!! I hope you had a wonderful weekend :-)!
I can’t complain too much about mine. We got lots of rain, which we have desperately needed. You know how rain makes great sleeping weather….well, since it was the weekend I snuck in a couple naps!! I truly do love that my husband offers to let me nap on the weekends when he is home from work. He knows I love them and that just makes me love him even more!!
What else do I like to do when it is rainy and dreary outside? BAKE!!
I don’t do a lot of baking in the Summer because turning the oven on and heating up the house is just not appealing. In the Fall however, I tend to be a baking fool!! We will just call this weekend, uh………practice!!
Late last week I received another case of Greek yogurt from Chobani. I’m telling you, I could live off of this stuff it is so good. I seriously think I may have an addiction. Please don’t send me to rehab for it anytime soon, okay;-)!
Okay, so back to baking!!
I had never used yogurt in my baking before but I figured it would be a great way to cut out the oil(at least most of it) in a recipe to make a healthier version.
Since blueberry muffins are always a favorite in my house, I thought I would get to work and make up a batch from scratch. The last time I made blueberry muffins they came from a box mix and that isn’t nearly as much fun. Originally, I was going to use the blueberry Greek yogurt but them I had another idea!! Since it is still Summer, and I love the combination of blueberry and lemon together(so Summery), I decided to be adventurous and use the lemon flavored yogurt instead.
Not only did my muffins turn out super moist and yummy but the lemon yogurt added a very nice but subtle citrus taste. I loved the slight hint of lemony flavor but to kick it up a notch you could also add some lemon zest to your batter.
Blueberry Lemon Oat Muffins
- 2 cups oat flour(see below on how to make your own)
- 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP canola oil
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 container lemon flavored Chobani Greek yogurt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 muffin pan with muffin cups.
- Combine oat flour, whole oats, sugar, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the almond milk, oil, egg and yogurt together.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry, mixing just enough to combine everything(will look like a thick bowl of oatmeal)
- Fold in blueberries
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full with batter
- Bake for 17-22 minutes(depending on oven), or until set and golden on top.
Over the last couple years, I have started using oats and oat flour in my baking whenever possible. I am not a huge fan of the texture of whole wheat flour and white flour obviously isn’t as nutritious so oat flour has been a very good compromise. It makes a slightly more dense muffin but I like that because it is more filling which means I can usually satisfy myself with one. Okay, who I am kidding…..I still usually devour two at a time ;-)!!
Making your own oat flour is so very easy and budget friendly, too!! All you need is a blender or food processor of some sort and you are set!! I used my bullet-like blender and I was able to grind 2 cups in less than a few minutes.
How easy is that?!!
After tasting the batter while I was preparing these(yep, I took my chances) I could hardly wait for these to finish baking.
Once these babies were done, there was no way I was waiting for them to cool down before trying one. The only thing better than a blueberry muffin is one piping hot and topped with a pat of butter.
I will just call this a taste of heaven in my mouth!!
My family felt the same way because less than five minutes out of the oven and this was all that was left.
As I type this, there are only two left and the majority of them have been consumed by my daughter. I think it is safe to say that these are quite the kid-friendly food!! 🙂
Because of the awesomeness that is Chobani, they have been kind enough to offer a case of Greek yogurt to one lucky winner!!!
How to enter:
- Leave a comment on my blog letting me know which flavor you are most excited to try.
- Follow Chobani on Twitter. Leave a comment with your Twitter handle and let me know you did.
- Follow Fit Minded Mom on Twitter. Leave a comment with your Twitter handle and let me know you did.
- Like Fit Minded Mom on Facebook. Leave a comment and let me know you did.
* Contest open to U.S. residents only, please.
*Contest will run through Wednesday, August 22nd. Be sure to stop by on Thursday to see if you are the lucky winner.