I’m thinking it is going be a 2nd cup of coffee kind of day. My eyes are feeling heavy and my throat is sore so that means a little extra energy is going to be needed to get through this day. It also means that I am going to take a hiatus from working out today because my body is giving me signs that it is trying to get sick and I really want to keep all sickness at bay if possible.
I did manage a pretty good workout yesterday so I am not going to feel the least bit bad about taking a day off. Nope, not at all!!!
- 5K run=34 minutes. Pretty slow but remember, I have TONS of hills I have to run so I am pretty sure I will shave off a few minutes on a less hilly course. At least, I am hoping so!!
- 25 minute walk. The weather was foggy, drizzly and cool but I was loving it so I decided to just enjoy it and get in a little extra calorie burn.
Comfort food was key this morning so I put a couple pumpkin spice waffles in the toaster for an easy but tasty breakfast. I topped them with some peanut butter and banana slices and was in comfort food heaven. I had good intentions of getting in the kitchen and making myself some eggs this morning but dirtying up extra dishes first thing in the morning was not appealing to me at all. Some mornings, simple is just what I need. Actually, most mornings simple is what I need ;-)!!
Since we are on the topic of comfort food, what better time to share with y’all one of my very favorite soup recipes. I love soup and tend to make many batches of it during the cooler weather months. It just does the body and soul good!!
Bacon & Potato Soup
Adapted from Allrecipes.com, Delicious Ham & Potato Soup)
This is one of all my all time favorite soup recipes. It is hearty, creamy and just plain ol’ delicious!!!
- 3 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup cooked and chopped bacon(turkey or regular)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3-4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 TBSP butter
- 5 TBSP all- purpose flour
- 2 cups milk of choice
- Combine the celery and onions in a stockpot and saute until onions begin to soften. Add potatoes and water. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
- While the vegetables are boiling, prepare bacon in a separate skillet, cooking until slightly crispy. Drain on paper towels and crumble bacon. Set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk making sure lumps do not form, until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through.
- Top your soup mixture with bacon crumbles and shredded cheese. Serve immediately.
Goodness, how I wish I had a big pot of this cooking right now!!!
Since I don’t, it looks like I will have to settle for that second cup of coffee!!!
Do you like to cook in the mornings or do you prefer more convenient breakfast foods?
How may cups of coffee do you drink each day?
Turkey or pork bacon?