That hiatus was nice but I am back and ready to talk your ear off again ;-)! Stay with me because this post is going to be full of a lot of randomness but I’ve got lots to say today!
Halloween has come and gone though the candy, well, it is still here and I have been consuming it like I may never have a chance to eat it again. Blame it on hormones or the fact that I have never quite lost my childhood love for it. In fact, my love of Halloween candy may have increased over the years.
Am I the only one who thinks that candy somehow tastes better at Halloween than it does any other time of the year? I think that is why I shovel it in…..because it seems like I am supposed to! However, that’s gotta stop, like NOW!!
As for my kids, I also let them have at it on Halloween night but from here on out, I will begin to ration it. It seems like there is a new trend of buying children out for their candy or even having them exchange it for a toy or other item they have been wanting. While I think those ideas are fine and dandy and work quite well for other households, I am all for letting my kids keep it. I mean come on, at some point I can use that candy to bribe them and if I get rid of all of it, that just isn’t an option anymore. Yep, I am that mom!!!
(I probably will secretly ditch some of it here and there but they don’t have to know that…..shhhhhh)
November. I love you and I hate you. Ha!!
- It’s my birthday month. Of course, I don’t know that I am so excited to turn the big 3-5 but I really can’t complain. I actually love being in my 30’s and I have held up pretty well so far, if I do say so myself. Am I allowed to say that without sounding conceited or vain? Because I promise, I am so not!!
- Thanksgiving. I just love that day. The food is delicious but there is something about taking that time to really count our blessings that means so much. I know we should do it everyday but we are human and it is easy to take things for granted. It is just a little reminder to focus on the good in life, rather than the negative.
- The Christmas Tree goes up!! Oh boy, this one REALLY excites me!!! Christmas is definitely my favorite Holiday of the year and I like to thank my kids for that. Christmas was always nice before having a family but kids really put the fun and excitement in it. Besides, I like to take it as an opportunity to teach them about Christ and the real meaning of Christmas.
- Daylight Savings Time ends. Enough said, right? I like daylight and I dread it getting dark at 6pm every night. Every year, without fail, I fall into a funk with the colder weather and shorter days.
My dislike list is pretty short but seriously, I do not like the time change AT ALL and I will be counting down the days until we Spring forward!!! I’m just not ready for the darkness.
Last Nights Dinner
I had intentions of making taco soup on Halloween but none of us were really all that hungry so I put it off until last night instead.
Whooo-Weeee, I forget just how delicious that stuff is until I make it!!! It is SO simple and comes together so quickly but we all love it. I started making this recipe years ago when I was following a weight watchers program because it was so low in points. You can eat an entire cup full for only 2-3 points, at least with the old point system.
I like to top mine with a little sour cream and cheese and then dip chips in it on the side. I guess that kind of defeats the purpose of it being low in points but hey, what can I say?!
The taco soup will also be my lunch today, along with these little 100 calorie packs of guacamole I found at Walmart last weekend.
I prefer my guacamole homemade but the avocados at the store have been less than desirable lately so I picked this up instead. It certainly doesn’t take the place of the real stuff but it is actually pretty decent.
If you are interested in the Taco Soup recipe, here goes. When I say easy, I am not kidding!!
- One pound ground beef or turkey, cooked
- One small onion, chopped
- One can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- One can black beans drained and rinsed
- One can Rotel tomatoes
- One 8oz. can tomato sauce
- One cup frozen or canned corn
- One packet taco seasoning(low sodium)
- One packet ranch dressing seasoning mix
- 4 cups water
- Cook beef or turkey in dutch oven along with onion, until cooked through.
- Add in beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn and ranch and taco seasoning.
- Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Add water and bring mixture to a boil. Turn down heat to low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Top with your favorite additions such as cheese, sour cream or avocado and serve. ENJOY!!!!
We are heading to our hometown of Wichita Falls for an overnight trip and I still haven’t packed a thing for any of us. That plus an oil change is going to take care of my morning. And I am off……..
Are you a candy lover like me? What is your favorite kind?
How do you feel about the time change?