Yep, I am totally sitting at my computer writing part of today’s post…… last night!!
I just got the kids to bed, took the most amazing scalding hot bath(anyone else like those as much as I do?) and will finish the night up laying on the couch watching The Voice on DVR. I cannot wait to see my favorites perform tonight. By favorites, I am referring to Team Blake!! They are the B-E-S-T!!
Something else that was the best….my egg scramble that I had for dinner. I headed to the gym later in the evening and since we had leftovers(more about those to come) I had the family finish those off and told them I would just fend for myself when I got home.
After working up a sweat on the step mill, I was so hungry I could have eaten a card board box when I got home. Luckily for me, I decided that an egg scramble was a much more acceptable dinner. 😉
Does anyone else wonder why eggs are labeled a breakfast food? In my opinion, they make a perfectly delicious meal ANY time of day. Who is with me on that?!
Anyhoo….that scrumptious egg scramble, this is what it consisted of: One whole egg, two egg whites, onion, spinach and sweet potato all covered in salsa verde and a teeny squirt of ketchup. YUM-O!! Oh, and I cannot forget the handful of Ginger Cat cookies that I wolfed down right afterwards. I guess I was craving the extra carbs:-)
Camryn also presented me with an early birthday gift. She had made something special for me earlier in the week and could hold off no longer!!
Bless her heart, she did an awesome job making my cool new glasses and bracelet. I mean, how cool do I look?!
Chilly temps outside this morning called for a proper warm and hearty breakfast. What is better than a big ol’ bowl of oatmeal. Especially when it is topped with a nice little dollop of creamy peanut butter. Mmmmm, so good!!!
So, those leftovers I was talking about last night……it was one of the best dishes I have made in quite a while. It may have had something to do with the fact that I was craving Buffalo wings like crazy on Sunday night. I searched some of my favorite blogs, looking for the perfect recipe to cure my craving when I remembered one I had seen previously on Sweet Tooth Sweet Life.
Let me tell ya, this one is a keeper!!! I did change up the recipe slightly, to make it work with what I had on hand. The basic recipe was kept the same but I used my homemade cheese sauce(which is incredible) rather than the one that she uses. Either way, I bet you will be more than impressed. 🙂
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 8-12 ounces of uncooked chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 4 slices of turkey bacon
- 8-10 ounces elbow shaped pasta
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup wing/buffalo sauce(I used Franks Buffalo)
- 6 TBSP white wheat flour(all purpose will work, too)
- 3 TBSP butter
- 2 3/4 cup non-fat milk of choice(I used almond milk)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups 2% shredded shredded cheese
- Cook turkey bacon in a skillet, until crisp and set aside. Add chicken to skillet and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until chicken starts to brown. Add in onion and celery mix and continue cooking another few minutes, until chicken is cooked through. At this time, add in your buffalo sauce and stir to mix in with chicken.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain. You can also chop the bacon at this point.
- While pasta is draining, add butter to a sauce pan, heated to medium and allow to melt.
- Stir flour, salt and pepper into the butter and stir constantly for one minute.
- Whisk in one cup of the milk, stirring continuously for one minute. Add remaining milk and stir regularly until mixture turns thick and bubbly.
- Add in cheese and stir until melted and combined well. Add pasta and chicken mixture into sauce mix, folding it in until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 inch dish and top with bacon crumbles. Bake for 5-10 minute.
- **May be served with additional buffalo sauce if an extra kick is desired**
Other than Thanksgiving food, what is the best meal you have made lately?
Do you consider eggs a breakfast food or any any time of day food?